Promoting well-being through technology
Welwaze Medical is preparing to disrupt the breast cancer market based on an integrated system that includes a medical device, an app, and AI on a blockchain powered platform.
– Alex J. Ness
Meet the team
Maria A Asprino
CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY, TEPPER SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Master of Business Administration - MBA
Pittsburgh, PA - 06/18
• Concentrations : Finance, Accounting, Strategy
• Memberships: Graduate Finance Association, Healthcare Club (VP), Culinary Club (VP)
• Honors: Tepper School MBA Merit Scholarship
College of Industrial Engineering - FEI
B.S.E in Production Engineering
Sao Bernardo do Campo, Brazil - 12/11
• Memberships: Entrepreneurial projects evaluator, Junior Consulting Company (Project manager), Soccer team
AMGEN (Fortune #123 in 2017)
Business development (summer intern)
California, USA - 05/17 - 08/17
• Mergers & Acquisitions: Performed industry and company-specific research and valuations necessa-ry to develop an investment thesis (to leverage Ex-US cash) to acquire Japanese +$10bn companies, culminating in a pitch deck delivered to the CEO and joint venture deal with Kyowa Hakko Kirin for $780m
• In-licensing: Developed an opportunity cost approach to value early-stage biotech platforms. Researched +10 different valuation models to consider and adjust value based on project risk, ultimately achieving buy-in from the in-licensing deal team
CARDINAL HEALTH (Fortune #15 in 2017)
Customer experience manager (in-house consultant)
Shanghai, China - 07 /14 - 06/16
• Corporate Development: Developed business unit corporate strategic plan to grow business by lOX, proposed new strategic services and gained management buy-in for a >$100mm pharmacy chain acquisition
• Leadership: Spearheaded a digital marketing optimization initiative that doubled e-commerce website visits from lOOk to 200k in 6 months. Developed marketing strategies for men's health therapeutics using improved data analytics and portfolio management techniques, doubling the category revenues within three months of implementation
• Business Development: Successfully pitched and operated new business partnership to a $1bn firm senior team. Launched first therapy management system that increased medicinal prescription and therapy retention, potentially generating additional revenue for Cardinal Health of ¥15mm/year on service fees and secured >3k/year new colon cancer patients for Cardinal pharmacies in China • Quantitative Analysis: Improved business intelligence analytics frameworks resulting in reduced report run times (from 30 days to 1 day), lower headcount costs and the discovery that 73% of orders were from non-physicians, which helped re-direct and improve the ROI of marketing investments
• Teamwork and Communication: Coached and mentored entry-level employees to develop career goals and developed the 5-year glide path for senior management, completely reducing the turnover rate of the entry-level employees on the first year
GBI - GENERAL BIOLOGIC (mid-size startup)
Analyst, Product and Business Operations
Shanghai, China - 02/13 - 02/14
• Business Development: Created marketing presentations and pitched to 20+ pharmaceutical firms' with market cap >$500mm each, generating >$300k in 9 months with expected additional revenues of >$6mm • Project Management: Managed a team of 4 on software development and daily deliverables. Analyzed costs, operational efficiency, and expenses; prepared monthly/quarterly P&L reports • Product Management: Successfully designed and launched business intelligence software for Latin America in under 3 months PERFORMA INVESTIMENTOS (seed VC/PE firm)
Analyst (01/12 -11/12), Intern (05/11 -12/11)
Sao Paulo, Brazil - 05/11 - 11/12
• Financial Analysis and Due Diligence: Evaluated 3 seed A companies; was the subject matter expert on the TMT industry, valued Tivio, CVD diamonds, and Tuctor.com, and developed investment thesis and due diligence of for investments in each firm • Client Relationship Management: Established deeper relationships with the 5 major entrepreneurial groups in Brazil
• Languages: Portuguese, English and Mandarin
• Training: Pillars of Wall Street (Valuations), 6 sigma, PM book, C++, HTML&CSS, SQL
• Interests: Co-founded education-related NGO, Real Madrid C.F fan, perfecting Brazilian BBQ, avid reader of technology news
Francis is an operational strategist with over 15 years of remarkable experience.
Throughout his career, Francis has focused in operations and quality management teams in electronic component manufacturing as well as in the food and pharmaceutical companies in the U.S.
Francis operational strengths have driven teams to accomplish operational efficiency, connecting individuals with technology, and standardizing tools supported on scientific calculation and statistic data.
Francis earned a Master’s Degree in Industrial Organizations from Universidad Católica Santa Teresa in Spain, and a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineer from Instituto Tecnológico de Santo Domingo, in Dominican Republic.
Director of Quality and Regulatory
Director of Applied Chemistry
Francisco brings over 30 years of international expertise in the financial services industry in the areas of accounting, analysis, and operations development.
His career experience includes serving as controller for One Eleven Capital, a U.S. investment & finance firm where he was responsible for the implementation and adherence to sound accounting practices and internal controls in compliance with federal and state regulations. He has also served as Director of Operations, and later, as Chief Operating Officer of Domus One Group, acquired by One Eleven Capital in 2015.
Francisco has also worked at Banco de Sabadell in Miami, Banco de la Nación, Argentina and Banesto Banking Corporation in New York.
Alex J Ness
Founder & CEO
Alex J Ness
Alex J. Ness is an entrepreneur with a strong passion for a humanistic approach to technology and science. Originally from Spain, Alex has dedicated over 20 years to build his career in private equity in the U.S., after starting his career in private banking in Europe. Alex founded Sofos Capital, a multifamily office wealth advisory group, Domus One Group, a private equity platform for real estate developments, and One Eleven Capital, a private equity firm managing capital across selected asset classes, which consequently led him to found and spearhead Welwaze Medical. The recession in 2008 brought a great deal of personal growth and Alex shifted his investment strategy focusing on companies and opportunities that have a strong social impact while creating value and return to his investors and shareholders.
Alex is an early stage investor in technology startups and currently sits on the Board of three family groups. He is invited to speak to groups looking for inspiration, purpose, and growth. His continuous support to Miami’s community has earned him recognition as a Miami-Dade County Key recipient.
Jaime is an accomplished international executive with over 30 years of experience in the Life Sciences Industry. Throughout his career, Jaime has held senior management positions in global companies in the pharmaceutical, medical devices, and biotech fields.
His successful sales and marketing experience includes leading roles in S&P 500 companies such as Johnson & Johnson and Abbott Laboratories, launching and leading initiatives in the U.S., Central America, South America, and Europe.
Jaime earned a BS in Business from Louisiana State University and completed an executive MBA at Northwestern Kellogg School of Management.
Finance executive highly experienced in both local and regional roles for several global companies. This includes +15 years of experience in healthcare through his roles as FP&A Director for Latin America and Finance Director for Southern Cone Markets with Medtronic and CFO Mexico and Argentina with AstraZeneca. He’s also gained experience in some other industries such as Education with Pearson (CFO South America), Oilfield Services with Schlumberger (Chief Accountant Southern Cone) and Advertising with Ogilvy (FP&A Manager).
Enrique gained a degree in accountancy from the University of Buenos Aires and also completed an MBA at Imperial College, University of London, UK.
Chief of Staff
Maria C Saavedra
Jorge A Salazar M, MD
Chief Scientific Officer
Jorge A Salazar M, MD
Chief Scientific Officer
Jorge is a dynamic and passionate physician, with more than 15 years of experience in Medical Department of Pharmaceutical Industry, mostly dedicated to Cardiovascular and Metabolism but other therapeutic areas including Rare Diseases, Menopause, inflammation, etc.
Throughout his career, Jorge has held positions of increasing responsibility and complexity in both Clinical Development and Medical Affair including Medical Manager for Andean Sub-Region, Regional Medical Advisor for Latin America, Medical Expert for Region Europe, and Franchise Medical Director for Latin America and Canada (LACan) Region in Novartis.
Prior to his career in pharmaceutical industry, Jorge participated in several clinical trials as investigator, so he has a comprehensive knowledge and understanding about the world of clinical trials.
Jorge is a MD graduated from the University of Zulia, Venezuela, specializing in Internal Medicine, Cardiology by the same university, in addition to Clinical Specialist in Hypertension by the Latin-American Society of Hypertension (LASH), and focusing his clinical practice in heart failure, non-invasive images and arterial hypertension.
Production Team Leader
Annette Y Vazquez